What is Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) and How Does It Improve Life?

Neuro-linguistic programming or NLP is a scientific approach to understanding communication and deciphering it to resolve underlying issues in the mind of self and others. The technique was developed in the 1970s by a gifted group of behavior experts at the University of California. What the team did essentially was to study the communication patterns adopted by noted psychotherapists of the time in speaking with their clients. They then developed NLP based on the communication patterns of these psychotherapy geniuses.

NLP focuses on understanding how the mind works and how people’s mental states affect their actions (neuro); decoding nonverbal communication to gain a deeper understanding of the human mind (linguistic), and reprogramming the mind to give up detrimental beliefs and habits and live a happier and fulfilling life (programming).

How does NLP support a happier life?

By focusing on nonverbal communication, NLP accesses the mysterious and unknown parts of the mind that contain vital information pertaining to our behaviors and reactions to life situations.

Research shows that only 7% of what we want to convey is expressed in words; the rest 93% is nonverbal, that is our feelings, attitude, thoughts, beliefs, and mindset. This is where our real thoughts and feelings lie hidden from the world and often from our own self. Studying NLP helps you master this grand aspect of day-to-day communication and when you’ve mastered the art, you can help others understand and rework their thoughts and feelings so that they can live a fuller, happier life.

In a nutshell, NLP helps you break down your inner dialogue with yourself and use it to your advantage. It makes you in charge of your life by teaching you how to control and modify your mindset for the better.

Why become an NLP practitioner?

There are several reasons why people choose to undergo NLP training. Some of them are:

  • Improve interpersonal communication skills to succeed at work and relationships
  • Master the skill of decoding nonverbal communication
  • Enhance own sensory perception and lead a more conscious life
  • Gain greater control over own emotions and mindset
  • Help others improve their life through NLP coaching
  • Empower self and others to break away from dated habits, beliefs and customs
  • Master the art of nonverbal communication
  • Become a Master NLP Practitioner or NLP Trainer
  • Become a certified Life Coach
  • Skill up-gradation by practicing psychotherapists

NLP training comprises three levels: Certified NLP Practitioner, NLP Master Practitioner, and NLP Trainer. Several NLP training centers in the US and elsewhere offer accredited NLP courses. If you don’t live in the same city as your preferred NLP center, you can take online training, which has fast become a preferred mode of NLP training worldwide.

What is the foundation of neuro-linguistic programming?

NLP is based on the solid foundation of four concepts, namely, Rapport, Sensory Awareness, Behavioral Flexibility and Outcome Thinking. These are essential goals that provide a sound framework within which NLP is practiced and taught in order to achieve the broader goal of improved communication with self and others.

A person who is trained in NLP is empowered to build rapport with others, has greater awareness of his or her subconscious thoughts and feelings, can adjust his or her behavior according to the situation, and is able to fine-tune his or her mindset to focus on a positive outcome than on the hurdles along the way.

How long does it take to become an NLP practitioner?

You can’t hurry through the process, but you can complete the basic level 1 training in a few weeks’ time. If you cannot study the regular weekday classes, you can opt for a weekend course or a combination of in-class and online training. If you are already a certified NLP practitioner or master practitioner, you can take a refresher course to renew your NLP knowledge and skills.

As NLP experts discover and identify more submodalities, it gives clients and NLP practitioners deeper knowledge that can be mined for a greater coaching experience. If you’re interested to learn more about NLP Submodalities – Here’s a Revolutionary Way to Use Them in Coaching.

To conclude, neuro-linguistic programming is an empowering tool to master your inner communication and the way you react to people and situations. It helps you get more out of personal and professional relationships and sensitizes you towards others’ feelings and beliefs. NLP is a never-ending journey of self-discovery and self-improvement and has benefitted millions across the world in understanding their inner and outer worlds just a tad bit better.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *